This Is My Personal Photo Blog.

I am a professional photographer.  I have a photography business, Stephanie Richer Photography, that specializes in wedding photography and portraiture.  You can see my work here.

However, my relationship with the camera started back in high school and my first love will always be street photography, and its fraternal twin, photojournalism.  Until now, I was combining the two on the blog for my professional website, but I have decided I want a place where I can post what I want and say what I want just for myself.

In addition, my husband has been bitching at me to do a book, do a book, do a book.  But that means curating all the pictures I have taken and I figure by blogging and writing about them, that will become my draft for the book.

And so was born this blog, Stephanie Richer Took A Picture.  I won't go all out on social media - there is an accompanying Instagram account and while I will always post about blog entries there, I won't always post the photos that find their way to Instagram here.  So, follow me on Instagram or keep checking back here, whichever works for you.

Here is the picture that started it all:



It was a hot day in New York City, somewhere around 1980.  I can tell because the black spot on the girl's head is the result of my clumsy film developing.  I saw this woman and child at a bus stop and snapped their picture.  The ferocity of the child is striking, as if to tell me, I will fight to the death to prevent she and I from being apart or if anyone tried to hurt this old woman.  I see them as St, Anne and the Virgin Mary, even if the age difference is too large.

What is street photography?  I will quote myself when I blogged about it before:

"[S]treet photography for me is to capture that unscripted moment that has a reason to be singled out from the millions of other unscripted moments being played out."

Not every post will have my commentary.  Sometimes it is enough to let the photograph stand on its own.  Other times, I will talk about it or use it to offer my take on something else.

Some things you should know:

1.  There will be a dearth of filters here.  This blog is mine and I will say what I want.  Occasionally, a profanity will appear.  But there will be no NSFW warnings and if it bothers you, just look at the pictures.

2.  All of the content is mine, which means it is protected under U.S. copyright law.  All of it.  If you want to use it, ask.

3.  Anonymous comments are allowed but know that if you are a troll, the weight of anything you say without identifying yourself is nil.

4.  Sharing is caring, cabron.  Tell your friends about it.

Now, on with the show.



Comments